Amy Mazer, LCSW-C
Amy has been in clinical practice as a psychotherapist in the Baltimore, Maryland area since 1981, providing a range of services that include:
- Counseling for adults, adolescents, children
- Couples counseling
- Adoption and surrogacy evaluations
- Co-parenting consultations
Amy is trained as a:
- Collaborative divorce coach
- Parent coordinator
- Child specialist
In a mediated divorce, Amy can act as a Co-Parenting Mediator for a couple, working with both spouses together, to faciliatate discussion on important child-related matters leading to the creation of a customized Parenting Plan or leading to consensus on a specific issue which may be creating tensions for the parents and children. Amy works closely with Attorney mediators who are responsible for helping the couple resolve their financial and property related matters. The Parenting Plan created in a couple’s work with Amy becomes integrated into a couple’s final divorce settlement and filed with the courts.
There are also some couples who want to stay out of the court system and mediate their divorce and other child-related disagreements, but the level of conflict between them is so high that working with two Co-Parenting mediators can be a successful strategy. Having a high-conflict couple work with both Amy and Scott together provides opportunites for them to diffuse the couple’s conflict while providing each parent with a co-parenting mediator to work with individually. In this process, we work to teach valuable communication and problem-solving skills and to stop the couples propensity for conflict from derailing their attempts to reach consensus on important child-related matters…and, ultimately, to protect the children from exposure to the conflict between the parents. In this type of paired co-parenting mediation divorces, Scott and Amy work as a team with both spouses during every mediation session.
In a collaborative divorce and in her role as a collaborative divorce coach or child specialist, Amy works with a multi-disciplinary team that also includes attorneys, other mental health professionals and financial specialists to help couples resolve their disputes respectfully, without going to court. In this capacity, she works closely with clients to provide support and teach constructive communication and problem-solving skills vital to successful negotiations and a cooperative co-parenting relationship.
- American University – Bachelor’s degree in Arts and Sciences, majoring in both Psychology and Sociology, 1979
- University of Maryland School of Social Work and Community Planning – Master’s degree in Social Work with a concentration in Clinical Social Work, 1981
- University of Maryland School of Social Work and Community Planning – Certificate Program in Social Administration, 1985
- National Association of Social Workers (NASW)
- Board Certified Diplomate (BCD) by the American Board of Examiners in Clinical Social Work
- Member of the International Academy of Collaborative Professionals (IACP)
- Active member and past President of the Howard County Collaborative Professionals (HCCP) Practice Group
- Founding member and current President of the Collaborative Professionals of Baltimore (CPB)
- American Society of Reproductive Medicine (ASRM)
For more information about Amy’s services beyond those provided as part of the Family Divorce Resource team, please visit her website at amymazer.com. You can also Contact Amy directly to schedule an appointment at her Baltimore, Maryland office, located at Green Spring Station in Lutherville or her Howard County office.
What Our Clients Are Saying
Amy & Scott helped our family navigate through an incredibly difficult time in our lives. They gave me and my kids the coping tools and tactics we needed when we needed them most. I'm not sure I could have gotten through my separation and divorce without them.— Mother of Two in Catonsville